Phone: (+48)(22) 843 70 01 ext. 3269
Fax : (+48)(22) 843 09 26
Room : VIII - P4
My scientific interests focused mainly on the following topics:
1960-1965 Elementary particles theory – weak interactions: description of unstable particles, radiative muon decay, contact neutrino-neutrino interactions.
1967-1980 Quantum nature of electromagnetic fields: renormalization in QED (calculation of the higher order corrections), coherence properties of the electromagnetic radiation, nonlinear quantum effects in photon propagation ( magnetic vacuum birefringence, photon splitting).
1976-1990 Interactions of atoms with intense light: above threshold ionization, light shift, population trapping, collective excitations of many-electron atoms, excitations of multilevel atoms.
1990-2005 Properties of photons and light beams: angular distribution of photons emitted spontaneously, spontaneous emission of photons in cavities, reconstruction of phase, properties of beams carrying angular momentum.
1996-2005 Special properties of simple quantum mechanical systems: nonspreading particle wave packets (Trojan states) in atoms and molecules, rotational frequency shift, motion of vortices in quantum mechanics, in electromagnetic field, and in BEC, squeezing of electromagnetic field.
Recently: emission and propagation of light in time varying media.
Most important results:
1. Theoretical demonstration, that light emitted by atoms in a superradiant state is coherent in Glauber’s sense.
2. Dynamical explanation of the observed above threshold ionization.
3. First correct calculation of the probability of photon splitting in magnetized
4. Prediction of the effect named “rotational frequency shift” in the radiation emitted by quantum systems without rotational symmetry.
1. On the polarization and magnetic moment of spinor particles in quantum field theory, Bull.Acad.Polon.Sci.Cl.III. 5, 1119 (1957), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
2. Remark on the radiative muon decay in the theory with an intermediate vector meson, Nuovo Cimento 21, 571 (1961).
3. On the coupling constant in the presence of an unstable particle, Nuovo Cimento 26, 1197 (1962).
4. On the coupling constant in a model with an unstable particle, Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. Cl. III. 10, 305 (1962).
5. Redundant zeros and poles on the unphysical sheet in a model of field theory, Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. Cl. III. 11, 301 (1963).
6. Do neutrinos interact between themselves?, Nuovo Cimento 33, 1484 (1964).
7. Fourth order renormalization constant in quantum electrodynamics, Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. Cl. III. 13, 369 (1965).
8. Coherence properties of the bremsstrahlung radiation, Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. Cl. III. 15. 663 (1967).
9. Properties of the generalized coherent state, Physical Review 173, 1207 (1968).
10. Coherence of the radiation from the superradiant state, Physical Review D1, 400 (1970).
11. Nonlinear effects in quantum electrodynamics. Photon propagation and photon splitting in an external field, Physical Review D2, 2341 (1970), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
12. Magnetic monopoles in the hydrodynamic formulation of quantum mechanics, Physical Review D3, 2410 (1971), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
13. Quantum electrodynamics of intense photon beams, Physical Review A8, 3146 (1973), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
14. Perturbation theory in self‑induced transparency for short pulses, Physical Review A10, 999 (1974).
15. Quantum electrodynamics of intense photon beams. New approximation method, Physical Review A14, 1101 (1976), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
16. Nonperturbative calculation of the Bloch‑Siegert shift, Lettere al Nuovo Cimento 15, 627 (1976), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
17. Nonperturbative calculation of the 2‑photon transverse resonance in radiofrequency spectroscopy, Optics Comm. 22, 178 (1977).
18. Triple optical resonance, Physical Review A16, 1318 (1977), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
19. Coherent dynamics of N‑level atoms and molecules. I. Numerical experiments, Physical Review A16, 2038 (1977), (with J. H. Eberly, B. Shore and I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
20. Coherent dynamics of N‑level atoms and molecules. II. Analytic solutions, Physical Review A16, 2048 (1977), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula, J. H. Eberly and B. Shore).
21. Solitary waves in Born‑Infeld electrodynamics, Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. Ser. Phys. Astr. 27, 41 (1979).
22. Nonlinear propagation of electromagnetic waves in strong magnetic fields, Acta Physica
Polonica A57, 729 (1980).
23. Nonlinear phenomena in the propagation of electromagnetic waves in the magnetized vacuum, Physica 2D, 513 (1981).
24. Exactly soluble model of continuum‑continuum transitions in strong laser beams, Physical Review A28, 836 (1983).
25. Population trapping in continuum‑continuum transitions, J. Phys. B 16, 4351 (1983).
26. Strong field effects in electron spectra from multiphoton ionization, J. Phys. B 17, 3091 (1984).
27. Solutions of Vlasov‑Maxwell equations for magnetically confined cold plasma, Physica 133A, 228 (1985), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
28. Model studies of collective atomic excitations by intense laser fields, Physical Review A33, 1671 (1986), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
29. Collective excitations of electrons by an intense wave in a magnetic field, Journal of the Optical Society of America B3, 1311 (1986), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
30. Ionization of atoms by high‑intensity lasers: Collective effects, in Quantum Optics, eds. A. Kujawski and M. Lewenstein, Ossolineum, Wroclaw 1986.
31. Berry's phase in the relativistic theory of spinning particles, Physical Review D35, 2383 (1987), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
32. Berry's phase and the parallel transport of polarization, in Fundamentals of Quantum Optics II, ed. F. Ehlotzky, Springer, Berlin 1987.
33. Space‑time description of squeezing, Journal of the Optical Society of America B4, 1621 (1987), (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
34. Collective atomic excitations by intense laser fields, in Spectroscopy and Collisions of Few‑Electron Ions, eds. M. Ivascu, V. Florescu and V. Zoran, World Scientific, 1989.
35. Angular correlations of bosons and fermions, in Coherence and Quantum Optics VI, Eds. J. H. Eberly, L. Mandel, and E. Wolf, Plenum, New York 1990, p.99, (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
36. Time evolution of photon angular correlations, Acta Physica Polonica A78, 67 (1990) (with I.Bialynicki‑Birula).
37. Angular correlations of photons, Physical Review A42, 2829 (1990) (with I.Bialynicki‑Birula).
38. Spatial antibunching of photons, Physical Review A43, 3696 (1991), (with I.Bialynicki-Birula and G. M. Salamone).
39. Velocity-dependent spontaneous emission, Optics Communications 85,315 (1991), (with P. Meystre, E. Schumacher, and M. Wilkens).
40. Spontaneous emission in a Fabry-Perot cavity. The effects of atomic motion, Physical Review A 45, 477 (1992), (with M. Wilkens and P. Meystre).
41. Reconstruction of the wave function from the photon number and phase distributions, (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), Journal of Modern Optics, 41, 2203 (1994).
42. On the measurability of quantum phase distribution, (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), J. Applied Physics B 60, 275 (1995).
43. Nonspreading wave packets of Rydberg electrons in molecules with dipole moments (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), Physical Review Letters 77, 4298 (1996).
44. Cavity QED, Acta Phys. Polon. B 27, 2409 (1996).
45. Rotational frequency shift (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), Physical Review Letters 78, 539 (1997).
46. Radiative decay of Trojan wave packets (with I.Bialynicki-Birula), Physical Review A, 56, 623 1997).
47. Motion of vortex lines in quantum mechanics (with I. Bialynicki-Birula and C. Sliwa), Physical Review A 61, 032110 (2000).
48. Squeezing of electromagnetic field in a cavity by electrons in Trojan states (with P. Kochanski and I. Bialynicki-Birula), Phys. Rev. A 63, 013811 (2000).
49. Motion of vortex lines in nonlinear wave mechanics (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), Phys. Rev. A 65, 014101 (2001).
50. Motion of vortex lines in a model of nonlinear wave mechanics (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), Phys. Rev. A 65, 014101 (2002).
51. Motion of the center of mass in many-body theory of BEC (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), Phys. Rev. A 65, 063606 (2002).
52. Vortex lines of the electromagnetic field (with I. Bialynicki-Birula), Phys. Rev. A 67, 062114 (2003).
53. QED: Quantum theory of the electromagnetic field, Encyclopedia of Modern Optics, Ed. Bob D. Guenther (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2004), p. 211 (with I. Bialynicki-Birula).
54. Trojan states of electrons guided by Bessel beams, Laser Physics 15, 1371 (2005) (with I. Bialynicki-Birula, B. Chmura).
55. Exponential beams of electromagnetic radiation,J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 39, S545 (2006) (with I. Bialynicki-Birula).
56. Beams of electromagnetic radiation carrying angular momentum: The Riemann-Silberstein vector and the classical-quantum correspondence, Optics Communications 264, 342 (2006) (with I. Bialynicki-Birula).
57. Electromagnetic radiation by gravitating bodies, Phys. Rev.A, in print (with I. Bialynicki-Birula).
1. Elektrodynamika Kwantowa, PWN, Warszawa 1969, 394 pages, (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).
2. Elektrodynamika Kwantowa, PWN, Warszawa 1974, 426 pages, II revised edition, (with I.Bialynicki‑Birula).
3. Quantum Electrodynamics, Pergamon, Oxford 1975, 548 pages, (with I. Bialynicki‑Birula).